Sometimes custom app development can be expensive. However, to raise the competitiveness in the software development area many companies think of methods to reduce the expenses associated with the app developing process. The point here is how can we cut the costs but still guarantee the app quality?
Firstly, we should concern about some elements that influence app development cost:
- App features: We need to define the aim of development, and its scale. Then we can manage the project budget, and estimate the cost exactly. Deciding on app designs, functions, and technologies to be used, all affect the cost. For instance, developing a small internal app to assist accounting salaries for employees of a company will cost less than a large scale custom app which is related to a whole business process.
- Platform and device supported: Selecting the platform your app will support is very important, since every platform is different, and it will affect the working efficiency of the app. Answer these questions before starting a project: will your app support iOS, Android, Window, or Web app? It’ll only support smartphones or tablets too?
- Custom design and animation: The app design is a crucial element of user interaction, but paying too much attention to design in the initial stages may be unnecessary. You should focus on creating user experience to attract the users and make them satisfied. Leave complex elements like 3D graphics, animations for the next stages.
- Limiting using hardware features: Some apps require the device's smart features like camera, GPS, contact list, and others. But you should consider the necessity of using these features and try to minimize the number required.
Next, It’s time to focus on some ways to cut app development expenses.
- Create a clear Product Requirement Document: Making a document which shows users’ point of view like their goals, behavior, tastes, and how the app works so that your team can figure out the best solutions to meet the app requirements.
- Keep only essential features: Sometimes apps contain some features that don’t align with their main goals. Therefore, in order to reduce the cost of development, and to save developing time, we should help developers concentrate on core features by removing unnecessary ones.
- Conduct thorough research: Before making any product we better prepare every knowledge related to it. In this very first stage let’s try to answer these following questions: who’ll use your app? Why do they need this app? What platforms are common among target users? Who are your competitors? What features do their apps have?
- Give up design from scratch and follow Apple & Google guidelines: Creating custom graphics, designs, user interfaces, and animation will cost you much money, and time. Whereas iOS, and Android created their own UX/UI design guidelines, why don’t we follow the guidelines to build a stylish app interface that is friendly with the users and help them quickly find what they want? It’s a perfect solution for both developers and users.
- Use the most popular technology stacks: A set of technologies like programming languages, frameworks, and tools affect development cost as well as the workflow. When choosing your app’s tech stack you better consider frontend and backend components, toolset, and server that can help you optimize the workflow, and save the team’s time in processing. Some of the most popular tech stacks are MEAN, LAMP, MERN, Ruby on rails, and Python-Django.
- Use Backend as a Service (BaaS): This method allows developers to implement all the backend features without designing themselves by using APIs, and SDKs provided by the BaaS vendor. Developers don’t need to maintain servers, virtual machines, or containers to keep the app running, so mobile, and web development processes go faster.