A technical lead is a professional who oversees a team of technical personnel at a software or technology company. They often lead software development or software engineering teams and troubleshoot technical issues that involve software development, engineering tasks and product releases.
A technical lead needs to have a great deal of professional experience in software development and a deep understanding of technology, but they should also be personable and capable enough to effectively lead a team and collaborate with others.
To each IT project, a technical leader plays an important role in not only related techniques but the whole developing process. The question here is how does a technical lead influence his team, and the project’s result? Let’s go into details to find out.
Firstly, technical leads’ responsibilities toward project:
- Take up the responsibility of the entire Project.
- Carefully analyse the project and rectify the errors found in the process.
- Undergo the process of analysis in order to fulfill the requirement of system wide.
- Develop the detailed design structure after understanding the requirements and the design.
- Implement the best practices and coding standards of the project.
- Keep on asking for the reviews and feedback from the peers.
- Report for all the weekly tasks in the form of accurate and detailed reports.
- Keep a check on the whole system, conduct the testing and integration testing for the entire system.
- Work on identifying the project risk and planning mitigation action with the project manager at project level.
- Be proactive while reacting to the surprised issue and should have written an explanation for the same matter.
- Assist and guide the Project Lead/PM/BA in project coordination.
- Ensure that the whole team is working as per the listed procedures, Lead should conduct a fair checking process
- Lead should also work on constantly increasing the productivity of the team and reducing the waste on the other end.
Secondly, beside the important roles toward projects, technical leads also take part in general management:
- Technical Lead should be flexible enough and be adaptable to the changing and varied work settings.
- Be the bridge between the team and the managers
- In order to lead the team successfully technical leaders must set targets and expectations for each member of the team.
- Have enough knowledge about the designing to involve with the designing team.
- Abide by all the project and company guidelines and standards and to ensure that even the team members are doing so.
- Fulfill all the commitments by timely delivering the deliverables.
- Ensure fair tasks assignments where people are assigned with the task as per their skills and personal preferences.
- Constantly motivate and encourage the team members to give their best, especially during the time when they are bearing pressure with high targets.
- Share the success and failures with the team.